Friday, April 16, 2010

Some good luck, 1929

Thanks to Beth for hosting the delightful Postcard Friendship Friday! I leave later today for the Morgantown, P.A., Paper Doll Luncheon but hope to check in with other PFF buddies before I leave, and catch up with the rest of you when I return late Saturday. Of course, I hope to find many interesting goodies at the luncheon, which I will post here in the coming weeks.

How could I resist this little kitty?

This 1929 card is signed "The Wildwood Bunch." Of course, the gang was being funny: black cats are connected with bad luck, not good. (Although my late great Midnight brought me a ton of luck, and love.) Wildwood is one of the historic seaside resorts here in N.J., mostly famous now for its kitschy motels--think 1950s moderne-space age star-bursts and rockets. Back reads: Black Cat, Printed in U.S.A. Bamforth Comic.  Addressed to The Kern Twins of West Reading, P.A. I bet the Kern Twins were two very pretty young women. Sounds like this bunch had some good times.

9 comments:

  1. Interesting - black cats are thought to be good luck where I come from, especially if one crosses your path.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice card. It looks newer card it actually is. Wildwood sounds like an interesting place to stay. Greetings from Amsterdam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute kitty in the box. And happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cats and cat postcards, though I always think of black cats as bad luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the cat's whiskers, couldn't resist saying that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely adore this "good luck" card! I don't think I would have put the black cat superstition together with the good luck until you mention it. How hysterical is that!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i always like to think that black cats bring GOOD luck too! this is a great card...it actually looks more modern in design that it actually is...happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete