Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Cigar Store scrap

This scrap was a mystery to me for the longest time. I could make out that these were Brownie-type figures, and the back showed part of a cigar store's name. But the trade-card had been cut up and pasted in a scrapbook, so there wasn't much to go on. I think the word in the upper right hand corner is "Anticipation" -- like the old ketchup commercial that used the Carly Simon tune of the same name.

Then I found the image below, probably on eBay: "Realization." Now I see how a series of trade cards told a story that was fun for adults and children to collect. That's one big smoke for the Brownies to share.

3 comments:

  1. These brownie images reminded me of the illustrations in Palmer Cox' Brownie Year Book. There are 12 plates, one for each month. Here is a URL to a webpage with pictures.

    Kwei-lin

    http://www.georgeglazer.com/prints/illus/browniesmos.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link, Kwei-lin! I hadn't seen this site before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, good, you got to the web page. It looked like the URL got cut off.

    Kwei-lin

    http://www.georgeglazer.com/prints/
    illus/browniesmos.html

    ReplyDelete